Diary of a More Organized Kid
For students in grades 6-8
For students in grades 6-8
Now in its 8th year, this fun summer course takes a lighthearted approach to teaching some serious academic and organizational skills -and employs a set of proven apps and tools to get it all done. Entertaining material from Dan's presentations, along with YouTube videos and funny scenes from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie prompt lively activities and discussion, all geared toward improving students' written production and organization.
Students learn to use Inspiration Software to:
- Create writing templates: expository and persuasive paragraphs
- Plan, organize, and sequence ideas for writing and research
- Work with information in their preferred style: visual concept maps, outlines or both.
Students learn to apply Dan's Top 10 Tips:
- Specific iPad apps, features and study techniques that help with organization, note-taking and writing
Students learn to use Google tools to:
- Manage time and tasks: use Google Calendars and tasks to print and post weekly calendars of events and due dates
- Remember commitments: set reminders for events and due dates
- Organize documents: save and manage work in folders, by class and grade.
Students learn all about executive function skills:
- What are these mental skills and what's the importance of the marshmallow test?
- Digital devices: their impact on attention and options to manage digital distractions.
- Who can participate? Students entering 6th - 8th grades.
- How many participants? 5 students per session
- Students register for one session, Monday-Thursday
- Do all sessions cover the same material? Yes, each course is comprised of 4, two-hour sessions, Monday-Thursday.
- Investment: $569.00
- Cancellation policy: If, after registering, you would like to cancel there is no refund unless your slot can be filled. If it can be filled you will receive a full refund.
- Marin: 45 San Clemente Dr A200 Corte Madera, CA 94901
- Need a laptop? Yes. Bring a laptop with Inspiration 9, desktop version installed and working. The 30-day free trial version is fine, just remember it expires in 30 days.
- Need an iPad? Yes. Apps to install: Inspiration Maps, Google Drive , Notability and Prizmo.
- Important: Be sure your child knows the Gmail username and password.
- Students typically use a school Gmail account or you can set one up.
- Be sure Google Calendar is enabled.
- Need experience using a computer? Yes. This course is a good fit for students who already know how to cut, paste, open and save files, etc.
"Thank you Dan... (our son) enjoyed the course and got a lot out of it. He has been showing me how to use Inspiration to create templates for 3 and 5 paragraph essays, and also for my work reports :-) "
(Our son) benefitted enormously from your class. Your handouts are still on his white board.